Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Extreme Couponing

Tonight TLC will air a show called Extreme Couponing.  Did you see the first one a couple of months ago?  It was a huge hit and now TLC is starting a series of 12 half-hour episodes. 

Yes, I am a couponer and love that I can get items for free or for pennies.  I have learned to shop smart and on average save at least 50% on my food bill and some weeks save more like 80%. 

Will I watch this show?  Yes.  Will I love it?  I'm not sure.

I felt like the first episode gave couponers a bad name, especially to those who don't do it at all.  Most of the people the show featured came across a little crazed and like hoarders.  I mean who needs 1500+ sticks of deodorant piled up in their garage?  One lady even has a separate insurance policy for her massive grocery stockpile!
I've read a couple of blog posts about the two ladies being featured in tonight's episode.  Both stated that they received special permission from the stores to do this and were given advanced copies of the store ad, had items special ordered in advance, etc.  I have also read another story about a coupon blogger who was passed over for the show because she was more of a "normal" couponer and not extreme enough. 


coupon use
istockphoto
 Coupons are already changing and I worry that they will change even more and stores will begin changing their policies to where it will be harder to find the good deals.  I am fortunate to live in an area where the grocery store market share is a big competition and we have a few stores that double coupons everyday and occasionally offer promotions like Super Doubles or Triple Coupons.  It is nice to be able to take advantage of these things to keep the pantry stocked at a fraction of the normal cost.   

So go ahead and watch the show but know that these people were given special permission and had rules bent all for the sake of "reality" tv. 

And if you want to learn how to get started shopping smarter and saving on your grocery bill I will be starting a series on Couponing Basics next Monday.  Nothing too extreme, just basic coupon and shopping strategies to get you started on saving.  I hope you'll join me!

*I just saw that the original first episode airs at 8pm EST tonight on TLC if you want to watch the first one I keep referring to.  The new one starts at 9pm EST tonight.

2 comments:

  1. I was looking forward to this show tonight, but I have quite a different perspective on things now - thank you! I'd love to join next week. I'm not much of a coupon clipper at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw some of a show. I think couponing is great and I admire those who are organized enough to take advantage of using them. I may watch tonight if I am the one in charge of the remote.

    ReplyDelete