Friday, January 20, 2012

What a Day!

I had a nice little post planned for yesterday...then life got in the way...big time. 

This is what our afternoon looked like...

That is my husband, Rob's, Jeep.

He and a co-worker were driving down the road heading to lunch when the engine shut off and he lost all power.  He could see a place to pull off the road just ahead.  Oncoming cars began honking and flashing lights.  Rob and Matt had no idea what was going on. 

Rob managed to drift onto a small access road off the main road he was on.  He put the car in park but it kept moving so he pulled up the emergency brake.  About that time smoke was rising from the hood.  He and Matt grabbed a few of their things and hopped out of the car as flames bagan rising.  Within about 45 seconds the car was engulfed in flames. 

A sherriff had been driving by as it was just beginning to happen.  He turned on his dash-camera so we have video of what happened.  He was a great help and stayed until everything was all taken care of 3 hours later. 

One of the drivers who had honked at them came back to make sure everyone was ok and said that flames were visible underneath the Jeep as they were driving/coasting to get to a pullover spot. 

Three fire trucks responded and it took about 30 minutes to get the fire out completely.  The fire marshal arrived.  It was quite a scene. 

It's amazingly scary how fast that Jeep burned.  Needless to say it is totaled.  Here's a picture of the fornt seat area from the passenger side window (that was completely melted and shattered).

We are SO very thankful that no one was hurt.  Both Rob and Matt got out just before the flames really erupted. 

We have no idea what caused this...and we may never know.  The insurance people and the Jeep people are beginning to investigate so we wait. 

Rob and I (and I'm sure Matt too) really hope for a calmer, less eventful day today.



  1. Oh my! That is NUTS! I'm so glad everyone was okay.

  2. Oh my heck! I'm so sorry! Glad everyone is okay. But UGH!!!

  3. This happened to my hubby a very long time ago with his Ford Elite. If I remember correctly it was a fuel filter. He had lots of records in the trunk cause he sold insurance at the time and had to get them all out. Luckily he made it but it was pretty scary stuff. So sorry for your troubles. At least no one is hurt. Thank the Lord. LJ

  4. OH MY GRACIOUS!!! That is terrifying! I'm so glad they are okay. Bless y'all's hearts! So sorry!

  5. I am coming to you via Frou Frou Britches' blog. What a scary thing to have happen. I got choked up just reading this, thinking about the close call, and I don't even know you! I can't imagine how scary it was for you and your family.

    Love your blog by the way!