Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Extreme Couponing

Tonight there is a new show debuting on TLC called Extreme Couponing.  Several couponers will be showcased.  These people take it to the extreme with their stockpiles (1500 deodorants!) and ways of collecting coupons (dumpster diving!). 

Yes, I am a couponer and yes, I do stockpile some items for my family.  I do this in a much more realistic way than what I think will be portrayed on this show.  I hope that the show does not make people lump all couponers into this category of extreme ones who are more like hoarders. 

Stockpiling is actually smart shopping by buying multiple items at rock-bottom prices (or even free) and saving for future use rather than buying at full price when you need them.  You can shop from your pantry rather than running to the store and paying the full price.  Examples of some of the items I have a stockpile of include toothpaste, deodorant, pasta, peanut butter, cleaning products like Windex, etc.  And my stockpile is nothing crazy...I'm talking a few to several of these items.  Once I start scoring deals on more than that I start sharing with others and donating to food pantries. 

I'm anxious to tune into tonight's show (TLC at 8pm EST).

No comments:

Post a Comment